- Two 19-ounce cans chickpeas, drained
- One 13.5-ounce can light coconut milk
- One 14.4-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup naturally sweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
How to make this recipe
- In a blender, combine the drained chickpeas with the coconut milk, chopped tomatoes, apple juice, cilantro leaves, garam masala and ground ginger and puree the mixture until smooth.
- Transfer the puree to a medium saucepan. Stir in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat. Season with salt and black pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls, top with the yogurt and scallion greens and serve.
The soup can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently.
One Serving 288 cal, 6 gm fat, 3.7 gm sat fat, 49 gm carb, 8.7 gm fiber.