Spicy Chickpea Salad
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 15 MIN Plus overnight soaking
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 cup dried chickpeas (about 5 ounces), soaked overnight and drained
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber (1/2 inch)
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder, optional (see Note)
- In a large saucepan, cover the chickpeas with 4 inches of water. Bring to a boil and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas are tender, about 2 hours; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato, cucumber, red onion, jalapeño, olive oil, vegetable oil, lemon juice, cumin, cayenne and mango powder. Add the chickpeas and season with salt. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Rajat Parr pairs this dish with an aromatic white like a Grüner Veltliner from Austria, or lightly spicy Riesling.