Spicy Carrots with Peperoncini
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 8 oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves, drained and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8 peperoncini (pickled chile peppers) from a jardrained, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil until it is shimmering. Add the sliced onion, garlic and celery, cover the skillet and cook the vegetables over moderately high heat, stirring them occasionally, until they are almost softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and the peperoncini to the skillet and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes longer. Scrape the vegetables into a medium bowl and wipe out the skillet.
- Melt the butter in the skillet. Add the carrots and season them with salt. Cover the skillet and cook the carrots over moderate heat, stirring them occasionally, until they are barely tender, about 6 minutes. Add the vegetable stock to the carrots, cover the skillet partially and cook over moderately high heat, stirring the carrots occasionally, until they are tender and the liquid has reduced to a glaze, about 10 minutes longer. Stir the peperoncini mixture into the carrots and cook just until it is heated through, about 1 minute longer. Season the carrots and peperoncini with salt and pepper, transfer the vegetables to a bowl and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.