- 5 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 pound carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only, coarsely chopped
- 1 small baking potato (6 ounces), peeled and coarsely chopped
- 11/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk or yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
In a large pot, combine the stock with the carrots, celery, onion, leek, potato, cumin, paprika and cayenne and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor, then return to the pot. Stir in the buttermilk and season with salt and pepper. Reheat gently. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
One Serving 115 calories, 1.0 gm total fat, 0.5 gm saturated fat, 18 gm carb.