- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Rice Krispies or other puffed rice cereal
- 1/4 teaspoon togarashi (see Note) or cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 small red chile, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 4 cups roasted or boiled brussels sprouts (about 2 pounds), halved lengthwise
How to make this recipe
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until shimmering. Add the Rice Krispies and <em>togarashi</em> and cook over high heat, stirring, until browned, about 30 seconds. Season with salt. Transfer to a plate and wipe out the skillet.
In a small bowl, combine the fish sauce, water, sugar, rice vinegar, lime juice, garlic and chile and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the cilantro and mint.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet and heat until nearly smoking. Add the brussels sprouts; cook over high heat, stirring, until charred in spots and heated through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Just before serving, sprinkle the Rice Krispies on top and serve right away.
Togarashi, a Japanese blend of chiles and sesame, is available at Asian markets.