Spicy Bread and Tomato Salad
- SERVINGS: 4
This refreshing salad is unique in a couple of ways: It's made with whole wheat bread, which adds nuttiness, and it's got a warm, spice-infused dressing. Use a hearty bakery loaf rather than packaged sandwich bread.
- 12 thick slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 15 cups)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, halved crosswise and sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup plain whole milk yogurt, stirred until smooth
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium European cucumber, peeled and cut into small dice
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread the diced bread out on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast for 6 to 7 minutes, or until dry on the outside. Remove from the oven.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add the onion and jalapeños, season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened but not browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in the cayenne pepper and the yogurt. Add the toasted bread and stir gently to coat with the dressing. Stir in the tomatoes, cover and cook until the bread is softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Gently stir in the cucumber and lime juice and season with salt. Spoon the salad onto individual plates and serve.