- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound thickly sliced soppressata, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 heads of escarole (2 1/2 pounds), dark outer leaves removed, inner leaves
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
How to make this recipe
In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the soppressata, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over high heat, stirring, until the garlic is golden, about 2 minutes. Add the escarole in batches and cook. Add the tomatoes and oregano, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cook over low heat until the escarole is tender, 15 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the panko and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 1 minute. Off the heat, stir in the Parmesan. Sprinkle the escarole with the Parmesan crumbs and serve.