© Phoebe Lapin
Spicy Black Bean Soup with Cilantro Crema
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
For a healthier version of this crema, try using nonfat Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream.
Slideshow: More Quick & Easy Soups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, heat the oil. Sauté the onion over medium-high heat until soft, 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook until fragrant, 2 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans, stock and chipotle, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium-low heat until the beans are tender and the soup has thickened, 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the lime juice. Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pot and taste for seasoning.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve alongside the cilantro crema.