- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek or Chinese chile-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- One 2-pound rotisserie chicken—skin and bones discarded, meat pulled into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup water chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 Bibb or iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled and cut into 12 slices
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the sambal oelek, mustard and sesame oil. Stir in the chicken, water chestnuts and scallions and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the chicken salad into the lettuce cups and top with a slice of avocado. Serve with lime wedges.
The chicken salad can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Spicy Asian dishes like this chicken salad tend to pair best with off-dry (i.e., lightly sweet) white wines. Riesling is one good option. Washington state is a great source for lime-scented Riesling. Another terrific choice is an off-dry Pinot Gris from New Zealand.