© Marcus Nilsson
Spicy Apricot Wings
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Easy Way An apricot-based sauce brushed on chicken wings before grilling gives them plenty of flavor; extra sauce is good for dipping.
- 1/2 cup hickory, apple or apricot wood chips
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 pounds chicken wings, wing tips removed and wings cut into 2 pieces
- Light a gas grill. Wrap the wood chips in heavy-duty foil and pierce the foil packet with a skewer. Add the packet to the grill. Cover and let the wood chips begin to smoke, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the apricot preserves with the Worcestershire sauce, light brown sugar, soy sauce, mustard, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, sweet paprika, cayenne and ginger. Scrape half of the mixture into a small bowl. Add the chicken wings to the large bowl and toss to coat well in the sauce. Let the chicken wings stand for 5 minutes.
- Grill the chicken wings, covered, over moderately high heat, turning them occasionally, until they are charred in spots and cooked through, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken wings to a platter and serve the reserved sauce on the side.
Beer Citrusy wheat beer: SweetWater Sch'Wheat from Georgia.
Wine Fruit-forward Oregon Pinot Gris.