- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper or foil liners. Lightly spray the liners with vegetable oil spray.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and 1/2 teaspoon of the nutmeg and pulse to blend; transfer to a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, butter, applesauce and vanilla. Fold the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients until just blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the granulated sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg over the muffins. Bake for 18 minutes, until the muffins are springy; let cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
One Serving 126 cal, 21 gm carb, 3 gm fat, 1.9 gm sat fat, 3 gm protein, less than 1 gm fiber.