- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper or foil liners. Lightly spray the liners with vegetable oil spray.
In a food processor, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and 1/2 teaspoon of the nutmeg and pulse to blend; transfer to a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, yogurt, butter, applesauce and vanilla. Fold the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients until just blended.
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the granulated sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg over the muffins. Bake for 18 minutes, until the muffins are springy; let cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
One Serving 126 cal, 21 gm carb, 3 gm fat, 1.9 gm sat fat, 3 gm protein, less than 1 gm fiber.