© Frances Janisch
Spiced Turkey Tagine with Prunes
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Delicious, Quick Side Dishes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, chopped
- 1 pound skinless, boneless turkey breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup pitted prunes (about 20)
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 large sweet potato (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 6 pitted dates, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock or low-sodium broth
- Heat the olive oil in a large enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the onion and leek and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, about 6 minutes; push to the side. Add the turkey and half of the cinnamon, cumin, ginger, basil and turmeric; season with salt and pepper. Cook the turkey until lightly browned all over, about 4 minutes; transfer the turkey to a plate.
- Add the remaining seasonings to the casserole and stir until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the chickpeas, prunes, tomatoes, sweet potato, carrot, dates and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Return the turkey to the casserole and simmer until the turkey is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
NotesOne Serving 414 calories, 7.6 gm total fat, 0.9 gm saturated fat, 65 gm carb.