Spiced Tomato Ketchup
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 1 1/2 CUPS
This condiment was inspired by a locally produced spiced tomato jam that Danielle Custer ate while visiting her grandparents on the Oregon coast.
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Two 1-inch strips of lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine the tomatoes with the sugar, water, lemon zest, allspice and cinnamon and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer briskly, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 25 minutes.
- Remove the lemon zest. Pass the ketchup through a coarse strainer, pressing on the solids; discard the solids. Let cool to room temperature and season with salt and pepper.
Make Ahead The ketchup can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.