Spiced Tomato Jam
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: Makes about 2 1/2 cups
When his restaurant's gardens produce a bumper crop of heirloom Southern boy, I love anything sweet and sour, like barbecue sauce," he says.
More Condiment Recipes
- 2 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 navel orange, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ras el hanout (see Note)
- 1/2 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- In a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes and the orange and lemon slices with the sugar, cider vinegar, ras el hanout and ginger and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring often, until thick and jam-like, about 45 minutes. Let cool and season with salt.
Make AheadThe jam can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. Serve at room temperature.
NotesRas el hanout, a Moroccan spice blend, is available at specialty-food shops, Middle Eastern grocery stores and online at mustaphas.com. It can also be substituted with 1/3 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, coriander and turmeric mixed with a pinch of cayenne pepper.