- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp—shelled, deveined and cut into 1/2 -inch dice
- 3/4 pound cleaned small squid, bodies cut into 1/4 -inch rings, tentacles
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano or jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, combine the garlic, salt, coriander, cardamom and paprika. Put the shrimp and squid in separate bowls and sprinkle them with the seasoning mixture. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to each bowl and toss to coat.
Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in a large heavy skillet. Add the onion and chile and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the onion and chile to a large bowl. Add the lemon juice, mint and lemon zest.
Reheat the oil in the skillet. Add the shrimp and stir-fry over high heat until opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to the onion mixture. Add the squid to the hot oil and stir-fry until opaque, 2 to 3 minutes; add to the shrimp and onion mixture and toss well. Serve warm or at room temperature.