- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork or lamb
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Kosher salt
In a small dry skillet, toast the coriander seeds over moderately low heat, shaking the pan, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Let cool, then transfer the seeds to a spice grinder or mortar and grind until fine.
In a medium bowl, mix the beef and pork with the coriander, vinegar, pepper, nutmeg and cloves. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to 2 days to allow the flavors to blend.
Light the grill or preheat the broiler. Form the meat into 16 patties and season on all sides with kosher salt. Grill or broil the patties, turning them as they brown, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink. Serve at once.