- 1 cup steel-cut oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1/2 cup short-grain brown rice (not quick-cooking)
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 bananas, peeled and halved lengthwise
- Roasted chopped almonds and heavy cream, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, combine 4 cups of water with the oats, rice, cinnamon stick, 1/3 cup of the sugar and the salt; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and thickened, about 30 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, melt the butter. Press the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar on the cut sides of the bananas. Cook sugar side down over moderately high heat until caramelized, about 2 minutes. Top the porridge with the bananas. Serve with chopped almonds and cream.