Spiced Rhubarb Soup with Vanilla Ice Cream
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN plus 2 hr cooling
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 cup crème de cassis
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cloves
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- One 3-inch strip of lemon zest
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb, stalks peeled and sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- In a saucepan, bring the cassis, wine, brown sugar, cloves, star anise, cinnamon, zest and vanilla bean to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat and discard the flavorings. Stir in the rhubarb and return to a simmer. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate until chilled.
- Spoon the soup into bowls. Top each with a scoop of ice cream and serve.
This tangy soup, like many desserts made with red wine, will pair with a wide range of reds. Mark Slater, Michel Richard's longtime wine director, likes to match it with the rose-scented nonvintage Quady Elysium, a sweet California wine made from the obscure Black Muscat grape.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.