Spiced Prune Chutney
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes about 1 1/2 cups
Plus: Ultimate Holiday Guide
More Great Condiment Recipes
- 1 cup dried pitted prunes, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 medium plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow or brown mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- In a glass bowl, combine the prunes and water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave at high power for 2 minutes, or until the prunes are plumped. Let cool.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato and cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add the mustard seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg and crushed red pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the prunes and their liquid, the vinegar, brown sugar and salt and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until jamlike, about 20 minutes.
Make AheadThe chutney can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Serve WithRustic Chicken Liver Mousse