- 1 cup dried pitted prunes, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 medium plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow or brown mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- In a glass bowl, combine the prunes and water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave at high power for 2 minutes, or until the prunes are plumped. Let cool.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato and cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add the mustard seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg and crushed red pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the prunes and their liquid, the vinegar, brown sugar and salt and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until jamlike, about 20 minutes.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.