- 3 pounds medium beets
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- One 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 3/4 teaspoon whole cloves
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Put the beets in a large baking dish. Add 1 cup of water and a generous pinch of salt. Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 1 hour, until the beets are tender. Uncover and let cool. Peel the beets and cut them into 3/4-inch wedges. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups of water with the vinegar, sugar, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, allspice, peppercorns, cloves and 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then simmer over moderately low heat until reduced to 3 cups, about 12 minutes. Pour the liquid over the beets and let cool; refrigerate overnight. Drain the following day, before serving.
The drained pickled beets can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.