- 6 firm, ripe Bartlett or Anjou pears—peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 large jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- In a large bowl, toss the pears with the onion, salt and jalapeños. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain the pears in a colander and rinse them. In a large saucepan, combine the pears with the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 25 minutes, or until thickened. Let the pear relish cool. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Make AheadThe pear relish can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Serve WithStanding Pork Roast with Fresh Herbs