- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 lamb steaks cut from the leg ( 1/2 pound each)
- Chickpea "Fries"
How to make this recipe
- In a small dry skillet, combine the coriander, cumin and caraway seeds and toast over moderate heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. In a spice mill, grind the toasted spices to a fine powder with the crushed red pepper and salt. Transfer the spices to a bowl and blend in the oil.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan and oil it lightly. Rub the lamb with the spice paste and grill over a hot fire for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to plates and serve with the Chickpea "Fries.".
The pointed, inky concentration of Syrah-based wines from France or Australia echo the spicy coriander, cumin and caraway rub.