Spiced Lamb-and-Rice Dressing with Chickpeas
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup Turkey Stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the lamb, garlic, cinnamon, cardamom and allspice and cook, stirring, until the lamb is no longer pink and the liquid has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and chickpeas along with 2 teaspoons of salt and a pinch of pepper and cook, stirring, until evenly coated. Add the stock and water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the pine nuts and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer the pine nuts to a plate and season with salt.
- Fluff the rice and transfer it to a bowl. Sprinkle the toasted pine nuts over the dressing and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.