Spiced Kirby Pickles
- SERVINGS: Makes 2 quarts
- 3 pounds kirby cucumbers, halved lengthwise
- 6 whole cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 to 3 dried red chiles
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 cups white vinegar, plus more if needed
- 1 cup water
- 10 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In one 2-quart heatproof jar or a few smaller jars,pack the cucumbers, cloves, bay leaves, chiles, peppercorns, coriander, mustard, fennel and cumin.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar with the water, garlic, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil. Simmer until the salt and sugar dissolve. Ladle the pickling liquid into the jar; if necessary, add more vinegar to cover the cucumbers. Let the pickles cool, then cover with a lid and refrigerate until flavorful, about 3 weeks.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.