Spiced Fall Fruit Jam with Hazelnuts and Red Wine
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 1 Quart
- 3 cups fresh red wine must or young fruity red wine, such as Beaujolais or Zinfandel
- 1 pound fresh figs, stemmed and halved
- 2 Bartlett pears—peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples—peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 quince—peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus more to taste
- Three 3-by-1/2-inch strips orange zest
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- One 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- In a large, nonreactive saucepan, combine the red wine must with the figs, pears, apples, quince, sugar, orange zest, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer the côgnà, stirring often, until very thick and reduced to 4 cups, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. If the côgnà is not sweet enough, you can add up to another 1/2 cup of sugar. Discard the orange zest, bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Stir in the hazelnuts and simmer for 10 minutes longer. Let the côgnà cool to room temperature before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.