- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped shallots
- 4 cups cranberries (18 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
How to make this recipe
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the shallots and cook over moderately low heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the cranberries, wine, vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and allspice and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, or until the mixture is very thick. Let cool slightly, then transfer to a food processor and puree. Season with salt. Transfer the ketchup to a glass jar.
The ketchup can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.