Spiced Corn on the Cob
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tablespoon allspice berries
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 dried red chile
- 1 medium shallot, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 gallon water
- 4 ears of corn, shucked
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- In a large saucepan, heat the canola oil. Add the coriander seeds, cinnamon stick, allspice berries, turmeric, cracked black pepper and dried chile and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the shallot and ginger and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the water and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the corn and simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the ground cumin over moderate heat until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Scrape the cumin into a small bowl and let cool. Stir in the chaat masala, salt and cayenne.
- Brush the corn with melted butter and drizzle with the lime juice. Sprinkle the spiced salt over the corn and serve at once.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.