- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- Eight 4-inch cinnamon sticks, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- In a small saucepan, combine the heavy cream with the milk and all of the spices and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain the cream into a bowl and wipe out the saucepan. Return the cream to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Put the chocolate in the bowl and pour the hot cream over it. Let stand for 3 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Transfer the fondue to a bowl and serve.
Gift Prep For each gift, measure out the spices above into a small glass jar and give with 1/2 pound of chocolate and this recipe. Or prepare the fondue and pour into a small glass jar: It will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat gently in the microwave before serving.