- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 1/3 cups Greek-style plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
How to make this recipe
In a medium, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the chile powder, cumin, turmeric and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chickpeas and broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat for 15 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and boil over moderately high heat, uncovered, until the liquid is thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in a small, dry skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 4 minutes.
Spoon the yogurt into shallow bowls. Top with the chickpeas, garnish with the mint and pine nuts and serve.
The spiced chickpeas can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently.
One Serving 270 cal, 31 gm carb, 13 gm fat, 1.7 gm sat fat, 8 gm protein, 7 gm fiber.