Spiced Chickpea Nuts
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 15 MIN plus overnight soaking
- SERVINGS: 3 1/2 cups
- 1 pound dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
- Herbamare or sea salt (see Note)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- In a large pot, cover the chickpeas with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring, until almost tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes; add more water as needed to keep the chickpeas covered. Add a large pinch of salt for the last 15 minutes of cooking. Drain the chickpeas; dry on a rimmed baking sheet lined with a kitchen towel.
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, toss the chickpeas with the olive oil. Add the nutritional yeast, cumin and garlic and toss well. Spread the chickpeas on the prepared baking sheet and season with salt. Bake for about 45 minutes, stirring a few times, until crisp. Serve hot or warm.
Herbamare salt and nutritional yeast are available at health food stores.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.