- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Eight 6-ounce bone-in chicken thighs with skin
- 1/2 pound dried split fava beans
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes and drained
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 8 cilantro sprigs, torn
- Splash of white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, whisk 1/4 cup of the olive oil with the garlic, coriander and cumin seeds, lemon zest, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 3/4 teaspoon of pepper. Add the chicken and turn to coat, then cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- In a saucepan, cover the fava beans with 2 inches of water and boil until the beans begin to fall apart, 40 minutes. Drain the fava beans, reserving the cooking liquid.
- In a blender, puree the favas with 1/3 cup of the reserved cooking liquid, the tahini, 1 teaspoon of salt and the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Keep the hummus warm.
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Heat a cast-iron skillet. Turn the chicken in the marinade and scrape off any solids; add to the skillet skin side down. Cook over moderately high heat until the skin is golden brown. Turn the chicken; transfer to the oven and roast for 15 minutes, until the juices run clear. Remove from the oven and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice.
- In a bowl, toss the onion, raisins, pine nuts, cilantro and vinegar with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Mound the hummus on plates and spoon on the yogurt. Arrange the chicken on top, skin side up, followed by the salad and serve. make ahead The fava bean puree can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Rewarm it before serving, adding water if it is too thick.
A bright, lightly spicy rosé cava, like the NV Canals Canals Rosat Reserva, is delicious here. Also try the NV Freixenet Cordon Rosado Brut.