Spiced Chicken Legs with Apricots and Raisins
- ACTIVE: 5 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Fruity and peppery, this exotic dish will perk up your midweek menu. Yet it's no more trouble than the simplest chicken recipe in your repertoire.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup dried apricots, quartered
- 1/4 cup dark or golden raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large, deep frying pan, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Season the chicken thighs and drumsticks with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Cook the chicken until browned, turning, about 8 minutes in all. Remove. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low. Add the onion and garlic to the pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, the allspice, and the red-pepper flakes. Add the chicken, apricots, and raisins. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat, and simmer the chicken, partially covered, until just done, about 20 minutes. Serve topped with the parsley.
The sweetness here will be nicely mirrored by an off-dry, aromatic white wine, such as a Chenin Blanc, Riesling, or Gewürztraminer from California.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.