- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
- 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted then ground
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed slightly
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 pound ground chicken (preferably thighs)
- 1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan set over medium-high heat, add the oil. When the oil shimmers, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and browns slightly, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and stir for 30 seconds. Add the cumin, cardamom, black pepper, turmeric, jalapeño and salt and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the ground chicken and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 10 minutes. Finish with cilantro and serve.
The chili can be refrigerated for up to three days. Garnish with the cilantro when serving.