© James Baigrie
Spiced Cake Doughnuts
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 2 1/2 DOZEN DOUGHNUTS
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup unsifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon solid vegetable shortening, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Dark Chocolate Glaze or Vanilla Glaze
- Chopped nuts, toasted coconut and sprinkles, for decorating (optional)
- In a bowl, whisk both flours with the baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a large bowl, beat the sugar with the eggs until pale and thick. Beat in the vanilla.
- In another large bowl, whisk the sour cream with the shortening and the milk. Beat the sour cream mixture into the eggs in 2 batches, alternating with the dry ingredients. Cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat 4 inches of vegetable oil to 370°. Line a rack with several paper towels.
- Meanwhile, turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Roll out the dough 1/2 inch thick. Using a 2 1/2-inch doughnut cutter dipped in flour, cut out as many doughnuts as possible. Reroll the scraps once to cut out more doughnuts.
Make AheadThe recipe can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight. The finished doughnuts can be made up to 4 hours ahead.