Spiced Buttermilk Scones with Marmalade
- SERVINGS: MAKES 1 DOZEN SCONES
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Scant 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, plus 2 tablespoons softened butter
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, ginger and cloves. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles small peas. Stir in the buttermilk, then turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead just until it holds together; don't overwork it. Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll each piece into a 7-inch round.
- In a bowl, combine the softened butter with half of the marmalade and spread half on each of 2 dough rounds, to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Set the remaining 2 dough rounds on top and press the edges together to seal. Strain the remaining marmalade and brush it over the rounds. Cut each round into 6 wedges and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the lower third of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the scones are golden on both top and bottom and cooked through.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.