Spiced Brown Sugar Carrot Bread
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: MAKES TWO 8-BY-4-INCH LOAVES
This moist, carrot-flecked bread is deep brown with a very crisp crust.
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon crushed cardamom seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots (about 14 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Coat two 8-by-4-inch loaf pans with cooking spray or grease and lightly flour the pans.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the light brown sugar and granulated sugar until smooth. Add the oil in a thin stream, beating at high speed until the batter has doubled in volume, about 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and lemon zest. Fold in the shredded carrots. Beat in the dry ingredients at low speed in 3 batches, mixing well between additions.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans, filling them two-thirds full. Bake in the middle of the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the loaves comes out clean. Let the loaves cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning them out onto a rack to cool completely.
Make Ahead Wrap the bread tightly in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.