© Frances Janisch
Spiced and Pickled Blackberries
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN plus 1 week pickling
- SERVINGS: 4 1/2 cups
These tart and aromatic plump blackberries are delicious in salads or served alongside cured meats and other charcuterie.
Slideshow: Recipes for Blackberries
- 8 black peppercorns
- 3 allspice berries
- 2 juniper berries
- One 1/2-inch piece of peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 shallot, quartered lengthwise
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 18 ounces blackberries
- In a mortar, lightly crush the peppercorns with the allspice, juniper berries, ginger and bay leaf. Transfer to a medium saucepan and add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, shallot and thyme. Bring just to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Let the brine cool completely.
- Strain the brine into clean glass jars and add the blackberries. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 week before serving.
Make AheadThe pickled blackberries can be refrigerated for up to 3 months.