- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 T-bone steaks, cut 1 inch thick (3 1/4 pounds total), at room temperature
- Light a grill. In a small bowl, mix the ancho chile powder, cumin, paprika and garlic powder with 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Season the steaks with the spice rub. Grill over moderate heat for 8 minutes per side for medium-rare; transfer to a work surface and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Try a berry-inflected, peppery Argentinean Malbec.