Spice-Rubbed Roast Chicken with Two Sauces
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS
- SERVINGS: 2 to 4
At his new chicken-focused restaurant in Atlanta, Bantam + Biddy, Shaun Doty uses an Old Hickory rotisserie to cook his birds, which are coated with a lemony fennel-seed rub. The choice of sauces to serve alongside includes smoky piri piri and Dominican wasakaka, made with onion, chiles and herbs.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- One 3 1/2-pound chicken, chilled
- Kosher salt
- Wasakaka Sauce and Piri Piri Sauce, for serving
- In a bowl, whisk the oil, garlic, lemon zest and juice, rosemary, fennel seeds and pepper. Rub the mixture all over the chicken, inside and out. Let come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Twist the wings of the chicken behind the back and tie the legs together; set breast side up in a roasting pan. Season all over with salt. Roast for about 55 minutes, until the juices run clear when an inner thigh is pierced. Transfer to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut the chicken into 8 pieces and serve with the Wasakaka and Piri Piri Sauces.
Rich, savory roast chicken pairs well with full-bodied Chardonnay; this lemony dish is nice with a bright white Burgundy.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.