- 2 cups Rice Krispies or other puffed rice cereal (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup salted roasted cashews
- 1/4 cup salted roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup wide coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 large fresh bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 325° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, toss the puffed rice with the cashews, peanuts, coconut flakes and raisins.
In a small saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the mustard seeds and cook over moderately high heat until they begin to pop, about 1 minute. Add the fennel and cumin seeds, crushed red pepper and bay leaves and toast, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the corn syrup, lemon juice and salt and bring to a boil. Drizzle the hot syrup over the cereal and nuts and toss with a spoon until evenly coated.
Spread the mixture on the baking sheet and bake, stirring once or twice, until the nuts are golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool; discard the bay leaves. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
The spice crispies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.