Spelt Muffins with a Marsala-Fig Swirl
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
A syrup made from fresh Mission figs and Marsala wine is swirled in the batter of these luxurious yogurt-spelt breakfast muffins.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Marsala Fig Swirl
- 7 oz fresh figs, (about 1 1/4 cups) diced small
- 1 tablespoon granulated cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons Marsala wine
- 1/2 lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- MAKE THE MUFFINS Preheat the oven to 375° and line a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- MAKE THE FIG SWIRL In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the chopped figs, sugar, Marsala wine and salt. Let the figs cook down and become syrupy for about 6 to 8 minutes. Take off the heat, grate in the lemon zest, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and 2/3 cup of sugar on high until light and fluffy. While mixing, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula every so often, about 5 minutes. Once butter is pale in color, beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla extract and yogurt until combined.
- With the mixer on low, gently add the dry ingredients until incorporated. Gently fold in the warm figs and their syrup, just enough so that batter leaves a light swirling trail of fig syrup. Spoon the muffin batter into the paper cups, then scatter the tops with a little demerara sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the muffins cool briefly in the pan, and then place them on a cooling rack.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.