- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
marsala fig swirl
- 7 oz fresh figs, (about 1 1/4 cups) diced small
- 1 tablespoon granulated cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons Marsala wine
- 1/2 lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
How to make this recipe
- Make the Muffins Preheat the oven to 375° and line a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Make the Muffins Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Make the Fig Swirl In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the chopped figs, sugar, Marsala wine and salt. Let the figs cook down and become syrupy for about 6 to 8 minutes. Take off the heat, grate in the lemon zest, and set aside.
- Make the Fig Swirl In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and 2/3 cup of sugar on high until light and fluffy. While mixing, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula every so often, about 5 minutes. Once butter is pale in color, beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla extract and yogurt until combined.
- Make the Fig Swirl With the mixer on low, gently add the dry ingredients until incorporated. Gently fold in the warm figs and their syrup, just enough so that batter leaves a light swirling trail of fig syrup. Spoon the muffin batter into the paper cups, then scatter the tops with a little demerara sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the muffins cool briefly in the pan, and then place them on a cooling rack.