- 2 cups pitted Picholine olives
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped basil
- 11/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices rustic sourdough bread, cut 1/2 inch thick from an 8-inch round, halved
- 16 bite-size mozzarella balls (bocconcini)
- 16 thin slices speck or prosciutto (4 ounces)
How to make this recipe
In a food processor, combine the olives, garlic, parsley and basil and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1 cup of the olive oil and process until smooth. Transfer the olive spread to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Heat a grill pan. Brush the bread on both sides with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and toast in the grill pan over moderately high heat until golden and crisp on both sides. Transfer each piece of toast to a small plate. Wrap each mozzarella ball in a slice of speck. Heat the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet. Fry the speck-wrapped mozzarella over moderately high heat until golden and just melted, turning once, about 2 minutes. Set 2 speck-wrapped mozzarella balls on each toast, spoon some of the olive spread on top and serve.