Sparkling White Kimchi
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN Plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: Makes 4 cups
"You see 7UP quite a bit in Korean recipes," says David Chang. "My mom cooked with it: She put it in a noodle dish, she added it to beef stock." When he wanted to prepare a quick "white" version of kimchi, Chang opted for 7UP; it adds lovely bubbliness to the cabbage. It can be served as a side dish like traditional red chile kimchi or with cold noodle soup.
More Korean Recipes
- 1 pound napa cabbage—halved, cored and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 scallions, white and tender green parts only, halved lengthwise
- 1 carrot, very thinly sliced
- 2 large red chiles, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1 1/2 cups 7UP or ginger ale
- 1 bunch of watercress, thick stems discarded
- In a bowl, toss the cabbage with the salt and squeeze it to soften slightly. Cover with a small plate and a heavy can and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Pour off any liquid. Stir in the vinegar, scallions, carrot and chiles. Add the 7UP, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Fold in the watercress just before serving.