- 1 pound napa cabbage—halved, cored and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 scallions, white and tender green parts only, halved lengthwise
- 1 carrot, very thinly sliced
- 2 large red chiles, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1 1/2 cups 7UP or ginger ale
- 1 bunch of watercress, thick stems discarded
How to make this recipe
In a bowl, toss the cabbage with the salt and squeeze it to soften slightly. Cover with a small plate and a heavy can and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
Pour off any liquid. Stir in the vinegar, scallions, carrot and chiles. Add the 7UP, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Fold in the watercress just before serving.
The kimchi can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.