Sparkling Pineapple Punch
- SERVINGS: 10
A frozen pineapple-and-guava ring gives this punch a dramatic presentation.
Plus: Ultimate Cocktail Guide
- 1 cup guava nectar
- One 3-pound ripe pineapple—peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 quarts cold unsweetened pineapple juice (see Note)
- Two 750-ml bottles cold brut sparkling wine
- 3/4 cup Calvados or Cognac
- Pour the guava nectar into an 8-inch metal ring mold or kugelhopf mold; the nectar should cover the bottom of the mold. Freeze until firm, about 25 minutes. Put the pineapple chunks and honey in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour the pineapple puree over the frozen guava nectar, cover and freeze until solid, at least 2 hours.
- In a large punch bowl, combine the pineapple juice, sparkling wine and Calvados. Warm the bottom of the mold under hot water to thoroughly loosen the pineapple ice. Invert the ring onto a sheet pan, then carefully lower it into the punch, guava side up. Ladle the punch into glasses and serve.
Make Ahead The pineapple-guava ring can be frozen for up to 3 days. Notes To make fresh pineapple juice, peel and core a pineapple, cut it into small chunks and puree in a blender. Work the puree through a fine-mesh strainer. Let the juice stand for about 30 minutes. Skim off any foam and use the clear juice. One pineapple yields about 2 cups of juice.