- 32 ounces apple cider
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 15 cloves
- 10 small cinnamon sticks, plus more for garnish
- 10 allspice berries
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 12 ounces filtered water
- 1 bottle (750 ml) chilled sparkling pear cider
- 1 bottle (750 ml) chilled sparkling apple cider
- Apple and pear slices and freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, combine the apple cider, brown sugar, cloves, 10 cinnamon sticks, allspice, cardamom and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool, then strain the mulled cider into a jar, cover and refrigerate until chilled, or up to 1 week.
- Pour the filtered water into a wide, shallow plastic container and freeze for at least 6 hours.
- Pour the mulled cider into a punch bowl and add the ice block. Stir in the sparkling pear and apple ciders, garnish with the apple and pear slices, cinnamon sticks and freshly grated nutmeg and serve in coupes or teacups.
Contributed By Julie Reiner Photo Published