- 32 ounces apple cider
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 15 cloves
- 10 small cinnamon sticks, plus more for garnish
- 10 allspice berries
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 12 ounces filtered water
- 1 bottle (750 ml) chilled sparkling pear cider
- 1 bottle (750 ml) chilled sparkling apple cider
- Apple and pear slices and freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, combine the apple cider, brown sugar, cloves, 10 cinnamon sticks, allspice, cardamom and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool, then strain the mulled cider into a jar, cover and refrigerate until chilled, or up to 1 week.
Pour the filtered water into a wide, shallow plastic container and freeze for at least 6 hours.
Pour the mulled cider into a punch bowl and add the <a href="/articles/cocktail-basics-techniques#bigchunkice">ice block</a>. Stir in the sparkling pear and apple ciders, garnish with the apple and pear slices, cinnamon sticks and freshly grated nutmeg and serve in coupes or teacups.