Spanish-Style Carrots and Cauliflower
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 ounce spicy chorizo, minced
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 head of cauliflower (2 pounds), florets sliced 1/3 inch thick
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Roast the bell peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler until charred all over. Transfer to a plate to cool. Peel, core and seed the peppers, then coarsely chop them.
- In a small skillet, cook the chorizo over moderate heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- In a mini food processor, puree the roasted peppers with the almond butter, garlic, cumin and the 1 tablespoon of water. Scrape the sauce into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, cover the carrots with 1/2 cup of the water and add a pinch of salt. Cover and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Add the sliced cauliflower and the remaining 1/2 cup of water, cover and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes longer; drain.
- Transfer the vegetables to a platter and drizzle with some of the almond sauce. Top with the chorizo and cilantro and serve with the extra sauce.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.